Setting up a database alias for your Sharepoint farm database server, empowers future changes to the database name or occasion to be executed without obliging Sharepoint reconfiguration. A database alias can be setup for all present versions of Sharepoint, including 2007, 2010 and 2013. It is most effortless to execute a database alias preceding introducing Sharepoint.
Today, you will be demonstrated to actualize a database alias. It accept the utilization of SQL Server 2012 Standard, hosted on Windows Server 2012 machines, as a component of a Sharepoint Server 2013 farm arrangement. The TCP/IP convention will be utilized. The system demonstrated underneath must be performed on every server expected to have Sharepoint Server. It doesn’t have to be performed on the database server (or on the Office Web Apps server if sending Sharepoint 2013).
Step by step
1. Run cliconfg.exe. This can be found usually at C:\Windows. The SQL Server Client Network Utility dialog appears.
2. On the General tab, select the TCP/IP protocol, and then click Enable >>.
3. On the Alias tab, look for the Add button.
4. Click the Add button. The Add network Library Configuration dialog appears..
5. Select the TCP/IP network library.
6. Enter a server alias.
7. Enter a server name. If you have installed a named instance of SQL Server, you will need to enter the path to the named instance..
8. Ignore the options on the DB-Library Options and Network Libraries tabs.
9. Click OK. This exits cliconfg.
10. Perform a quick check by navigating to the registry key: HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo.
11. Run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cliconfg.exe. This opens the 64-bit version of the Client Network Configuration Utility.
12. Repeat the above steps.
13. When done, perform a quick check by navigating to the registry key: HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo.